Monday, May 26, 2014

Day Thirty: Melide to Santa Irena

Praise The Lord, another dry day!! Our morning started out slow and later than the average pilgrim (per our usual). We made our way to breakfast where we ran into none other than the two Dutch men from Ages!! Boy have we been missing them! We enjoy reminiscing about that evening often, so it was great to see them again. Marius had run into some problems with walking, so they took a bus part of the way, which is how they caught back up to us. We ate our breakfast of tostadas and cafe con leche and then headed on our way -- we had a lot of ground to cover! 

Shortly after exiting the city, we ran into the fifty kilometer mark. I know I sound like a broken record, but I just can't believe how far we've walked!! Today everyone seemed to be tired: I think we are all feeling the effects of doing near thirty kilometer days multiple days in a row. But that did not slow us down too much! When we hit the sixteen kilometer mark, we stopped for lunch with the Dutch men -- they were staying in that town for the day whereas we were only at our halfway point. A burger and fries later, we were back on the path. A little outside the town, we ran into a church that was open. We took a moment to go inside and spend some time in prayer. I pray often while I am walking, but it feels "more official" if I can spend at least a few minutes in a church. This church was simple but lovely; a great place to share some thoughts and five some thanks to God. 

Today I felt like my brain moved at a speed double to my feet -- I could barely concentrate on one thought before another demanded my attention. It is as if my mind knows that its time for quiet, slow, peaceful contemplation is almost over and thus every idea must come forward before time runs out. Once I get back home, everything will move so quickly. After a lot of walking, we arrived in Santa Irena, our resting place for the night. We checked into our Albergue, showered, rested, and then went out for dinner. After last night's adventure with the pulpo, I was happy to see that the menu contained croquetas and papas fritas, which is exactly what all four of us ordered. We thought it better not to press our luck slipping into our Albergue after ten again tonight, so instead after dinner we sat in the Albergue kitchen, talking and drinking sangria that Jarek carried in his backpack for over fifteen kilometers. 

And now I am in my bed, exhausted. But a good exhausted: my body is tired from a long day of walking, my mind is tired after a long day of thought, and my spirit is tired after a long day of prayer. 

Here are a few pictures fr today: 

It's easy to find your boots when you're the last four out of the Albergue!! 

Fifty kilometers to go!! 

A pretty spot for prayer. 

The crucifix surrounded by prayer cards, all of which depict Mary from different countries, stories, and traditions. 

Little town, it's a quiet village; everyday, like the one before. Little town, full of little people waking up to say ... Bonjour! 

I know it looks stormy, but we stayed nice and dry. 

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing Oregan Trail: You must ford the river; you lose two oxen. 

I'm going to miss these pretty views! 

I have spent a lot of time the last few days really analyzing and thinking about myself: the way I am living, the way I view myself, the way I think others view me, where my life is headed. Self reflection is hard -- sometimes we are too critical, sometimes too forgiving; sometimes we are unable to see our flaws or see flaws that were never there. Nevertheless, this has been a productive analysis I believe -- I am happy with what I've discovered and can feel such a change in my heart. 

Time for sleep -- tomorrow is a short day, but even short days require rest! 

Buen Camino. 

Jena 

No comments:

Post a Comment