Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day Twenty Eight: Barbadelo to Hospital de la Cruz

Last night on the way back from dinner, Vera said: I have never prayed in my entire life, but tonight I am praying for sunshine. I think God enjoyed hearing from her, because not a single drop of rain fell on us today. Our fellow pilgrims in our sleep room were super considerate this morning and didn't make a sound as they got up and left ... however this was slightly problematic as we have grown accustom to their rustling as our alarm clock. Thus, we got a much later start today -- once we were dressed and packed and had eaten breakfast, it was after nine. We started walking and walked for a little over three hours straight (almost twenty kilometers) before stopping for lunch.

The sights today were beautiful, as per usual. From mountain ridges to quiet forest paths to expansive lakes and fluffy white clouds, there was much to look upon and contemplate. We walked at a quick pace and (despite my huffing and puffing) I kept up with no trouble -- every day the Camino strengthens my spirit, mind, and body. We hit a big milestone today: the one hundred kilometer mark! I can't even believe that I have already walked 705 kilometers. At times it seems like an impossibility -- when you just walk a little every day, it doesn't seem like you are crossing a country. On other occasions, such as after my shower when I examine my feet, I can totally believe how far we've walked. There was quite an array of wildlife on our walk today; there were the usual dogs and cats and cows but we also saw deer, pigs, and an ostrich. 

After lunch we had only around eleven kilometers to go. We made our way out of the city and back into the countryside. The last little bit is always the hardest, and today was no different. With each hill we climbed we were sure our final destination would be on the other side -- and when it wasn't we became a little more determined and our feet got a little more heavy. But eventually we climbed the hill that landed us in our final destination: Hospital de la Cruz. We checked into our Albergue, rested, showered, and then ventured out in search of dinner and a television. 

I know what you're thinking -- A television? Well apparently tonight is the European Futbol Championships -- Real Madrid is playing Atletico Madrid; and so after we finished eating dinner, we stayed put in the bar and watched the match. Now I don't really have a "favorite" team since we don't generally watch European soccer at home (though I loved watching soccer games during my years at Gibault and SLU) but neither Jarek or Gosia or Vera want Real Madrid to win, so I guess we are cheering for Atletico. The best quote of the game, though, came from Vera when she saw that the referee for the match was Dutch: He is a very good referee; you will see. We had been sitting watching the game (happy that our team was winning) when with less than two minutes left the other team scored. Blah. Pilgrims really do need to get their rest, so rather than watch the overtime and whatnot, we went back to our Albergue where I am now being serenaded by the snores of those already dreaming. 

Here are a few pictures from today: 

Blue skies chasing away the rain!! 

So peaceful. 

Here we are with the one hundred kilometer marker -- so exciting!! 

Such a pretty day!!!

A beautiful place to enjoy lunch. 

Apparently the architect didn't think the pilgrims did enough climbing and made this the entrance to the city ... but it is really pretty. 

I think we should go that way ... 

Just a little monument tucked away in the path for the pilgrims to enjoy. 

And my bed for the night. 

I had a lot of time to think while I walked today -- I thought about all the adventures I have had thus far and what adventures still await me in the upcoming week. I was a little sad that my days of new adventures are coming to an end, but then I was reminded of all the adventures that await me when I get home. And why can life not be like the Camino? What prevents me from waking every day and purposefully engaging in prayer, with the people around me, with nature, and with my thoughts? Life is a blessing not to be wasted but to be enjoyed and shared. Every day should be our Camino -- it isn't the destination but the journey that's important. 

Buen Camino. 

Jena 

1 comment:

  1. when are you expected to return home? cause i've been really good on the whole sushi thing, but it's possibly my hardest wheat ever. lol.

    ReplyDelete