Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Day One: Porto to Vila do Condo

Today was the day -- the first day of walking on the Caminho Portuguese; it was breezy, it was wet, and it was beautiful. We started our morning much less lost than we ended it last night; it's always good to have a little bit of a plan. We found our way easily to the train station and took a metro to Mercado where we were to start our journey. As we were getting off the metro we ran into two fellow pilgrims -- Simone from Germany and Maryann from Canada. Even though you follow the yellow arrows, it's always a little reassuring when you find other pilgrims. Together we walked over the drawbridge and towards the coast to the board walk. 

I've walked on streets and on forest paths and up and down mountains; I've walked through fields and mud and rocky roads; but never have I walked kilometer after kilometer on a board walk running parallel to the ocean, which is what we did today. I have to say, it was absolutely amazing. The weather is very rainy / stormy, so the ocean was very powerful with white caps and crashing waves; I love seeing the strength of nature -- it reminds me to let go of my need to have so much control in life. After about an hour of walking we stopped for breakfast: cafe con leche y tostadas con jamón y queso. Then we started up again: four and a half hours of boardwalks and tiny ocean towns. The towns along the boardwalk were colorful and filled with fishing boats and equipment -- so much to see! Even on such a stormy day the boats were out and the men were fishing.

We had a little detour from the path; an unintentional exploration of the forest paths of Portugal ... We were following arrows, and then all of a sudden the arrows stopped! After map consultation and a little backtracking, we made the decision to take a path that seemed to lead to the ocean and therefore the board walk -- good decision. We were back on track and on the way. We stopped for some lunch a little before two (tortilla y papas fritas y ensalada) and then followed the path to our albergue: Albergue de Santa Clara. 

After we arrived we showered and napped and then found dinner: sopa y pescado con papas fritas (I think papas fritas is just a given served with every meal) y vino tinto. When we were finished with our meal the server brought out a large book for us to sign, a book of pilgrims. We thought this was neat, and after we signed we turned back to see where other pilgrims were from / what they had said -- but they had just started the book yesterday! Another waiter then approached our table and asked to take a photo of us ... maybe we will be Portuguese celebrities!! (Which is perhaps better than being Polish fellon -- ahem, Vera 😂) 

The first few days on the trail are all about getting used to the walking and the pace, acclimating to the Camino way of life. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to get to a pilgrim mass -- a lady in the town told us that the monestary was closed today, so no pilgrim mass. 

We met quite a few other pilgrims in passing today as well as at our albergue: a family from Australia (hear that family: they are walking the way together! Don't think I won't be suggesting this for years to come ...), a couple from Australia, a lady from the Netherlands, and a man from the United States. In true pilgrim fashion, everyone is so friendly -- it is enjoyable to talk with them. For many this is not their first Camino; it seems that taking routes other than the Camino Frances is more common for repeaters than first timers. The Portuguese people are very kind and helpful; one man at a cafe even drew us a picture / map of how to get to our albergue so we would find it without trouble (and then many kind ladies pointed us in the right direction when we still got a bit turned around ...) 

Today was a little rough on our bodies: walking so much when that is not your normal routine is exhausting, and soon your feet are aching and sore. But we are stretched and rested now; and no blisters!! All in all, we walked a little past 26 kilometers today (a little over 24 miles), which is 38,580 steps for you Fitbit fanatics out there. Tomorrow will be a little further -- about 27 kilometers. I can't wait!! Here are a few photos from today: 

Mi amante con el mapa 😍

Boots on the board walk !! 

When in doubt, follow the arrows! 

I love all the colors in these coastal towns! 

I'm happy to report that the rain gear is waterproof -- also that if CJ gets turned around I will be able to see him from at least five kilometers away. haha 

The highest point on the trail today. 

Feel that ocean breeze!! 

It reminds me of the song "You called me out upon the water -- the great unknown, where feet may fail..." 

Food!! A full pilgrim is a happy pilgrim. 

CJ all tucked into bed with a little light reading (Thomas Merton -- not light at all!! But some excellent theology.) 

And my bed for the night. 

I couldn't have asked for a better first day -- fresh sea air in my lungs, an easy (flat) path for my muscles and feet, and CJ walking by my side. 

Bom Caminho. 


4 comments:

  1. Jena I love this blog... The area sounds beautiful...the food sounds wonderful. Your mom sent me info on how to comment Hope I am doing this right..they keep going poof,when they are going I have no idea..Give C J a hug for me and the feet get the TLC needed for tomorrow's adventure. Love you two...


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are replying correctly! The food and the scenery are wonderful; I'm probably taking too many pictures of each. haha Our feet are a little sore, but nothing a foot massage, warm shower, and good night's sleep won't fix. ☺️ CJ says hello -- and I gave him his hug. We love you, too.

      Delete
  2. Hey I'll miss you guys be graduating in two weeks hope you have fun I wish I could go to Spain and Portugal love you my favorite scorers players are from Spain and Portugal
    Austin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I like the view today! The water looks cold, but I always love the ocean :) The boardwalk kind of reminds me of the path we walked that day in Ireland..made it a little easier! Love you, and here is to hoping you can go another day without blisters!!

    ReplyDelete