Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Day One: Reunited in Amsterdam

After nine hours on a plane (seven and a half flying, one and a half waiting for a repairman to fix the airplane window so we could take off) I landed in the Netherlands --- I am so excited to be here!! But I'm REALLY excited that I have been reunited with Vera. 


Here we are on the train leaving the airport and headed towards her parents home. (You'll have to excuse the crazy plane hair ...) Isn't it amazing how over a year can pass between the last time we saw each other, yet it feels like only yesterday we were out on the path together? We grabbed a quick bite to eat and then took a train, a bus, and a short walk and arrived at Vera's parents' house where we were greeted by her mom and two cats. We exchanged a few gifts: she traditional Dutch cookies, candy, and a keychain ... and me a Cardinals shirt, St. Louis shot glass depicting the Arch, and a skyline mug. We then had a cup of tea, caught up on what's been happening since we last saw each other, and watched a movie / rested -- traveling all day and night is exhausting!! We both thought it was strange to be together and not walking ... 

After a short nap Vera's mom made us dinner -- a traditional dish with potatoes, kale, ham, and sausage. Delicious. And flan for desert. (Vera's dad and brother were at dinner, too.) Then Vera and I headed into Haarlem to visit two churches: the first a large, beautifully lit cathedral that we will return to in the morning to view the interior, and the other a small church that has been turned into a pub where we enjoyed some ale and visited. It turns out, the Dutch think Donald Trump running for president is ridiculous, too. haha A few photos ... 

My gift from Vera!! 

Drinking my tea from Vera's Camino cup --- just like I drink all my tea and coffee from my Camino cup at home! 

Mmmmmmm -- dinner ☺️

Church number one ... 

And church number two. 

Our drinks -- "divine beer" from the church brewery. 

And my bed for the night. 

It has been such a wonderful day, but I am exhausted. I can't wait to get some sleep and wake up well rested, ready to explore tomorrow!! 

Buen Camino ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment