Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Day Two: Adventures in Haarlem

I can't even remember the last time I slept in -- this morning was beautifully lazy: I slept in until almost 9:30 and then had breakfast (croissants, Nutella, and hot tea) before getting ready to go into Haarlem. After a short walk and two bus rides, we were at the beach. It is a little bit cold and windy, but that doesn't stop the beach from looking pretty. We ate some kibbeling for lunch on the boardwalk where we were harassed by some over zealous birds before heading down to the sand so I could put my toes in the North Sea. Usually when I visit the beach I'm looking for a nice cold drink, but we were more eager for hot chocolate, so we found a restaurant where we could sit inside and look out at the beach while enjoying a warm drink. 

After we finished at the beach we went back into the city center and visited St. Bavo's Church (the church we saw last night before going to the pub). I think I may have a strange obsession with ancient ceilings, because I again fell in love with the gorgeous rafters in this church! St. Bavo's church was originally built as a Catholic Church, but after its construction, it was taken over by the Protestants. Today it is still a religious building as well as an art and history museum of sorts. There is a giant pipe organ in the back of the church -- Mozart and Händel played on this organ, and there are beautiful stained glass windows throughout the space. I took a few minutes to light a few candles and pray a bit in one of the side chapels before we left -- my life is filled with so many blessings, it is good to give thanks. After we left the church we got some coffee (did I mention it is really cold here?) and then explored a little more -- coffee with milk in Dutch is koffie mit melk (pretty soon I'll be able to order coffee with milk in just about any country!!) We stopped by the store where Vera works (Lush) and sampled some of the lotions and smelled all of the beautiful soaps. Then we headed back to Vera's parents' home where we got ready to go out to dinner. We went to a traditional "pancake house" but the Dutch pancakes are nothing like the American pancakes. They are almost like a mix between a crepe and a pizza; they were delicious! Then we headed back home where we visited for a while -- and now it is time for sleep. Here are a few photos from today: 

This is the view from Vera's parents' family room overlooking the garden; their home is so beautiful! 

My newest friend: Sip the cat ☺️

There were sand sculptures at the beach. 

Grabbing lunch at the boardwalk fish truck ... 

Kippeling!! 

Beach selfie!!! You can't tell how cold it is, but my eyes are watering from the wind! 

<3 

mmmmmmmm

Amazing ceilings!! I think this ceiling will go well with the prior ceiling I picked out from the Gaudi palace ... 

This window was titled "peace and tolerance" -- the picture doesn't do it justice; it was really beautiful. 

All of the amazing products at Vera's store!! 

My dinner: a bacon, mushroom, cheese pancake. 

And of course my wonderful host / tour guide / Camino partner / friend ❤️

More adventures tomorrow!! Buen Camino. 




3 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a wonderful time! It is very pretty there! Continue to enjoy your adventures! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have to agree with Tara and what a wonderful "day 2".you had! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have to agree with Tara and what a wonderful "day 2".you had! Love you!

    ReplyDelete